Several weeks ago, I happened across a restaurant I had not yet seen at a local mall – it’s called: True Food Kitchen.
They get most of their ingredients from local growers and have a nice variety of foods – many organic and gluten free.
D would love it, and… they have one in Atlanta!
The décor is clean and bright – they have cool food sayings on a big blackboard on a wall:
I ordered the spaghetti squash casserole and it was mighty tasty like an Italian pasta casserole – it even had a few squash seeds in it:
I thought using spaghetti squash for a filler in an Italian dish is a great idea. I love dishes like lasagna, but have not been able to come up with a way to keep the sauce and cheese together without noodles.
So, I tried my hand using spaghetti squash and it worked out to be a really good – and super easy – dish!
Here’s how I did it:
- 2 large spicy Italian Sausage Links (True Food used no meat)
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 jar quality pasta sauce – I used Trader Joe’s Arrabiata Sauce
- two – 3 cups shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees
- Slice spaghetti squash long ways and scoop out guts (I did not save the seeds since my squash did not have any
- Place spaghetti squash halves face down in a glass baking dish with a little water in the bottom.
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes. If not soft after 10 minutes, then microwave until soft.
- In the meantime, remove the casing off the sausage and brow in a pan like ground beef.
- When squash is soft, scoop out cooked squash in a large bowl being careful not to get burned.
- Dump the pasta sauce and browned sausage in the bowl of spaghetti squash and mix well.
- Grease a glass baking pan with butter, olive oil or no-stick spray.
- Lay the spaghetti squash/pasta sauce mixture in the glass baking pan
- Layer the shredded cheese over
- Sprinkle the cheese liberally with the Italian Seasoning
- Bake for at least 1/2 hour or until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
Let cool a little and enjoy! (We sure did, B and I each has two servings!)